Saturday, February 09, 2013

anything could happen



no disrespect to ellie goulding's pop hit, but i don't get most of the lyrics. no matter, though, because the refrain rings true nevertheless.... "anything could happen."

if the last month of my life has taught me one thing, it is to listen to the voice inside that rises up over and over, telling you what is yes and what is no, guiding you to turn down one street and avoid another, and reminding you that the face you see in the mirror—while very much you—is only just a piece of who you are. it is quite easy to distract yourself from hearing it, because the world is filled with loud noises, internet feeds, and shiny baubles, but there is truth at the bottom of the can and it would do us all well to pour ourselves out and let it be what it is.

it might sound silly to mention this, but for the purposes of cataloguing my own existence, my ravens won the super bowl. yes, this is an exciting thing, and yes, it has been a long time coming. but what is even more miraculous about it is that my whole heart knew this would be the outcome. i do not take credit for this knowing, because it came fully from outside of myself, and yet that voice...it was that voice that told me to believe what i could not yet see and what most people said was impossible. and during every game, when things could have gone another way, i heard that voice coming out of my own mouth, proclaiming victory for my birds and, moreover, for this underdog city i hold dear.

and if this town, more than scruffy around the edges, known for the wire and an at-times hellish crime rate, can rise up and make a name for itself, surely i can as well, no?

this week, i found a fortune cookie in my car. not sure where it came from or how it got there, but its message was clear to me: "a dream you have will come true."

oh, if you only knew what dreams still lurked there, deep inside. if you only understood the precipice upon which i find myself standing, over and over, only to turn back around and head the other way because i'm afraid, or because i don't feel like i have any other options. i just can't do it this time, though. i have to turn my face to the wind and let myself be blown back, undaunted. the truth drives me into the unknown and gives me the faith to keep moving when hope seems farthest from me. in this vast world, with all its hurts and all its uncertainties, it is hope that reminds me that 'anything could happen. anything could happen. anything could happen. anything could happen. anything could happen....'

and there goes the little voice again....

No comments: