Saturday, April 19, 2008

we now return you to your irregularly scheduled program....

thursday i had what can only be described as one of those nearly out-of-body experiences. i say nearly because i don't want to seem overblown in my assessment (yeah, like it would be the first time) and surely life has brought many more awesome...nay, thrilling experiences than this....but i digress.

so, anyway, i'm sitting at my desk at work listening to pandora, on which i have concocted quite possibly the perfect mixed radio station for my life. i had JUST hit the sweet spot of the workday groove (you office people know what i'm talking about), and suddenly i hear the opening guitar strains to a song that, quite honestly, reminds me why i love music from the 70s most of all. so i'm seriously sitting there trying not to break out into song and then this line hits me....

'dreams, they're for those who sleep.....life is for us to keep....'

now, anyone worth his or her salt will know that this line comes from the bread song 'make it with you.' people, i don't know what is up with me lately, but having hit my work sweet spot to the tune of 'make it with you' was seriously one of those moments that i sat and CHERISHED for a good five minutes. i'm sure coworkers were wondering what was up with the goofy grin on my face (i did manage to avoid singing through that whole song), but can you blame me?

okay, maybe you can. maybe i'm a huge cheese ball, but in my current life of burning the proverbial candle at both ends, that was a moment of pure musical bliss. and you know what? i'll take 'em where i can get 'em....

now then, this reminds me of the fact that i will have 4.5 or so hours in my car this week (coming and going) as i drive to pittsburgh. that's right, pittsburgh. i'm going there for a long weekend getaway with my friend amy (who will be driving down from the great state of michigan to meet me). seriously, this will be the first time i've spent the night somewhere other than my apartment since december. it's my one week off from school between semesters, and i intend to live it up....so natch, i'm going to pennsylvania, home of the rockin' amish and other things celebratory:).

in actuality, i'm rather excited. we're planning to go to the 'bodies' exhibit at the carnegie science center, ride the duquesne incline to get a scenic view of the city, and take in a pirates game on saturday - assuming it doesn't pour. and besides, i'll get to spend 3 solid days with one of my favorite people on earth.

so let's see....what else is new? oh, well, i've been working my tail off this term, and i'm going to finish strong with what i project will be in the neighborhood of a 99% average for my class (woo!). as of tomorrow, i will have completed two full semesters of school. now i only have about three more to go. the other night when i was feeling particularly tired and cranky, i got online and watched the graduation ceremony from this past february. it inspired me to keep going. that'll be me up there some day soon....

in a final and utterly unrelated note, i have realized a few things about myself and my opinions lately....or have been mulling over previously realized items. here they are in no particular order:
  1. i am a fan of solid colors with the well-placed, patterned 'accent.' and by patterned, i mean geometric shapes/stripes/or something swirly and interesting....i don't need stuff with flowers or similar crap on it.
  2. paul mccartney wrote better songs than john lennon. there, i said it.
  3. i am SO glad i chose walden for my master's program. i believe in what that school promotes.
  4. i really abhor the idea that someone would miseducate children. this is part of the reason why i'm interested in producing curriculum for them or directly involving them. this isn't a new idea for me, but i've been thinking about it with more purpose lately.
  5. having said that, i still have no real interest in teaching.
  6. i am also quite glad that i abandoned the idea of becoming a counselor. i couldn't listen to people complain about their problems all the time - unless they were willing to take action. i have little patience for people who aren't willing to DO something about what bothers them (myself included).
  7. at the end of the day, simple really IS best.
  8. my life is pretty much a closed door right now....and this will likely remain the case until july 2009 (of course, now that i've said that, i fully expect something will change.)
  9. i know my limits.
  10. i am SO completely disinterested in anything or anyone attempting to control people using guilt, shame, or some misplaced/inappropriate sense of obligation. and it is worst to me when i see it happening between people who profess faith in Christ. on the flip side, i am ALL about people who are living authentically, with love and grace in their words and actions. i am privileged and honored to know some of these people. they are part of what makes life worthwhile.

and with that, i bid you good day.

No comments: