Saturday, February 16, 2008

week of feb 10-16, remix

sunday
the last time i posted here, i was in deep procrastination mode. i am happy to say, however, that i got my paper finished (i know you were all wondering), but something problematic occurred at the same time: my internet went down at about 11 pm that night (i was still working), meaning that when i finished the paper at around 12:30 a.m., i had to pack up my laptop and go out in 12-degree weather (i am NOT exaggerating) to try and find some wifi. after feverishly driving around pikesville to no avail, i wound up in cockeysville at a kinkos at 1:30 a.m.. i burst through the door (looking a hot mess, i must add) and announced loudly, 'i'm having an educational emergency!' the staff person looked in no way fazed (not enough to warrant the severity of my situation, anyway) and suggested that i use one of the pay-as-you-go computers in the back. suffice it to say that when all was said and done, i got my paper turned in by 1:38 a.m. (in time for the 2 a.m. deadline), but by the time i got home at nearly 2:30, i was too wired up from all the excitement and being out in frigid temps. needless to say, i didn't get to sleep until 4, and 7:30 comes early, let me tell you....

monday
i had scheduled to work from home that day - thank God. i got a lot of work done, and despite my sleep deprivation, i still worked a 9.5-hour day (what was i thinking??). my mother showed up around 4:30 (she was in town visiting for the night), i knocked off work at about 6, we ate chinese food, and then talked until about 11 when i figured my body would collapse from the exhaustion. yeah, well, wouldn't you know that i didn't fall asleep until after 12, and once i did, i slept incredibly fitfully. whattheheck?

tuesday
on tuesday morning we opened the blinds to discover that it had snowed during the night, albeit lightly. mom was out the door by 7:30 to make a class she was taking downtown, and i waited around until 8 a.m. for my cleaning lady (first time). as soon as i met her, i felt immediately good about her and knew i could entrust my belongings into her care - very important!! i left her to her tasks and made my way to the office, feeling only slightly like i had been hit by a bus....
the weather was precarious all day, and when it started icing at around 4:30, i packed it in. i'm sorry, but after my car incident in december, i'm not messing around with ice anymore. i was suitably impressed at how cautiously the other drivers (most of them) were handling themselves on 83. i managed to make it home - even stopping briefly to cast my vote in the primary election - just as my parking lot had turned itself into a skating rink.
as i walked in the door, the smell of clean hit my nostrils immediately. it was nothing short of phenomenal. this woman had not only done a fantastic job on the things i expected her to clean, but she cleaned stuff i hadn't even thought about. i called several of my coworkers right then and there to gush. and you know what? they gushed back! how awesome is it to have people share in your joy?? this is what i'm saying....
that night, i was prepared for a delicious sleep, but wouldn't you know it - i was up until 3:30 - wide awake. i was starting to assume that my body had lost its damn mind....again, wednesday morning came mighty early....

wednesday
because it was icy in the morning, i elected to work at home. by the time it stopped being icy around noon, there was still a cold, spitting rain falling constantly, and i was so into my work, i just kept going from the warmth of my apartment. that night, despite my grand plans to start the homework i had due friday, i instead watched some TV, ate mac and cheese, and went to bed at....well....midnight? at least it was getting better.

thursday
valentine's day started off with me feeling like someone had punched me in the stomach from the inside. apparently the four days of exhaustion coupled with last night's mac and cheese affair (i used skim milk, even!) had rendered me with stress stomach and let me say - it's not pretty. i went to work praying to God that no one received any stinky flowers (read: lilies) that would give me a migraine. shockingly, it didn't happen. in fact, EVERYONE around me got roses, most of which don't really smell. the lack of brain pain allowed me to be genuinely pleased for all my friends whose desks were donned with lovely shades of pink, red, and yellow.
and, around 3 pm, the mailroom person came by my desk with a box (pour moi?). my awesome coworker and friend in LA had sent me a bear with some godiva chocolates and signed the card 'from your nerd counterpart in LA....' how cool is this??
honestly, val's day was my favorite day this week (save the stomach ailment, which resolved itself by afternoon, btw). a lot of people were really happy around me and it really didn't matter that i am single-as-can-be right now. believe it or not, that's pretty much how i want it for the time being....

friday
ah, sweet friday. another chance to celebrate the weeke....oh wait, crap, i have homework due tonight! *sigh*....
so, i spent my day finishing up a project that i've been working on for the last month, left a little early (i had worked longer days earlier in the week), and came home to take a quick nap before plowing into my assignment. i managed to finish at 10:45 (unprecedented!) and called my LA counterpart to 'woohoo' on the phone for a few. she had been drinking wine and seemed all too happy to giggle along with me while i heated up some (very late) dinner for myself.
after getting some nourishment (such as it was), i watched more tube, brushed my teeth, and promptly fell dead asleep while sitting up on the couch.

and so, dear readers, that brings us to today.....

saturday
and what i have on the docket for this lovely, sunny saturday is this:
1. grocery shopping with my gal pal salimah
2. maybe a quickie trip to williams-sonoma (i still have a gift card!)
3. small dinner party this evening with a couple of girlfriends
4. brief homework interlude (commenting on discussion board posts) sometime before midnight-ish
5. maybe a cup of creamy coffee :D, my first one all week....

i shall post more info about the menu for tonight's partay later on....i can tell you there will be shrimp involved. big ones:). wish me well.....

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Was the Kinko's in Owings Mills not open for some reason? That surprises me. When I lived there, they were open 24/7.