Sunday, February 25, 2007

update

so, i got a diagnosis from my podiatrist: i have a neuroma (an enlarged nerve) in my right foot and have torn the plantar fascia in my left foot. he gave me a shot of cortisone into the nerve in my right foot (OUCH) that numbed my toes for a good hour...the first pain relief i've had in months. he also instructed me to get some new orthotics from charm city run and while i was there, i decided just to get some new brooks as well (my old ones were on their way out), so 170 bucks later (!!!), i was walking in some very cushy, comfy softness....

i'm hopeful that these measures will provide some ongoing relief. i'm going back to see him in a week. in the meantime, i'm not really supposed to be doing much walking or anything involving impact, since that's the source of my problems to begin with (so the gym was a major culprit, apparently). i'm trying not to feel frustrated about it, but i don't know that i'm succeeding very well.

i will say this, though: it feels good to get some answers, even if they're not the ones you want. good life lesson. must keep that in mind.

2 comments:

Devika said...

OMG, woman. You TORE your plantar fascia?? That is crazy. You've had this pain for so long, and you were walking around with a torn plantar fascia! I feel faint just thinking about it. I'm glad you saw the doctor! Holy shit.

sarah said...

yeah, devika, believe me. this pain has been NO JOKE. i think i tried to minimize it in my own mind just so it wouldn't drive me nuts, because as soon as i full let myself admit how much it hurt, it started to really wear on me emotionally. all i'm saying is - yay for orthotics!