Thursday, June 15, 2006

crap

okay, so i had a truly bad workout today. i couldn't even stay on the treadmill for the full 65 minutes (i only made it to 45). my foot hurt a LOT, and i probably did more than i even should have...but this is something to know about me: i'm stubborn. i guess that's a good thing in this case, although i am concerned that i don't hurt myself. that wouldn't be so great....

anyway, there are a variety of factors that contributed to all of this, but suffice it to say that i'm feeling kind of emotional right now, and having a bad workout made all those other things feel worse. i'm sure i'll get over it, but in short, it bit.

in other news, i have my annual review tomorrow. i've already gotten my evaluation to look over, and i feel like it was more than fair. probably the most fair one i've ever had. my past reviews remind me of the scene in clueless when cher tells her father that she renegotiated her grades: "some teachers were trying to low ball me, daddy." yeah. that pretty much sums it up.

but this time, i feel like my efforts over the past year have actually been acknowledged, which is a GREAT feeling. gosh, what a relief. so, i'm trying to focus on that and the fact that i actually took my butt to the gym, even if i couldn't go for quite as long as usual.

oh, and you know, today was part of a brief experiment i was conducting. this was my first workout (that i remember) when i didn't eat a clif bar beforehand. clearly, that was a bad idea. i'll be sticking with THAT program from now on....

3 comments:

Kate said...

I am so proud of you. Sometimes the workout is just not good... it happens, but you still did it. And that is an act of courage, to keep going when things are ostensibly just not clicking. You still stood up to be counted, and that will not go unrewarded.

Nancy said...

One practical piece of advice, from my own gym-going days: if your gym has a trainer, talk to him. Or get a book on physical training (I used to read Weight Training for Dummies. Seriously). It's a little known fact that workouts are more effective when you vary the areas you work on, vary the intensity, and sometimes take days off. A good long-term plan, worked out with a trainer, can reduce injuries and keep your enthusiasm and interest up.

Devika said...

65 minutes is a long time for me. I can usually only do over an hour if it's a very moderate workout. High intensity, I can only do 30 minutes. So 45 minutes is still really good (just not your usual 65, you Rockstar!). It's ok to have a bad workout sometimes. At least you worked out.